Brief statement of academic activities
- Information node of BTISnet: The Centre is part of the National Bioinformation Network and functions as an information base in various areas of Biosciences and Biodiversity for the entire north-east ever since its inception.
- Nodal centre of North East Bioinformatics Network (NEBInet): The BIC at NEHU serves as a nodal centre for the newly constituted NEBInet by DBT, GOI comprising 3 Sub-DIC’s and 26 Bioinformatics Facilities through Biology teaching (BIF-BTBI) Centre’s since 2008 spanning 8 states of North-East.
- Nodal centre for operating DBT-sponsored Online Access Facility of Library Resources (OAFLR) for 36 Secondary and Senior Secondary Schools in North Eastern States of India through 8 BIF-BTBI Coordinators.
- Identified as one of the 18 nodal Centre in North-East Region to operate and monitor the DBT e-Library Consortium (DeLCON) facility (that comprises a total of 917 selective Journals and a Database (SCOPUS) for NEHU).
- DBT-sponsored Bioinformatics National Certification Examination Exam Centre (BINC): BIC, NEHU as one of the seven Examination Centres for conducting BINC Exam (the year 2008 onwards).
- Dissertation Training: Students pursuing post-graduation in any branch of biosciences are trained in Bioinformatics for a period of 3-6 months towards their dissertation work as a partial fulfillment of their M.Sc. degree (Completed - 15 nos.).
- Research & Database development:Molecular characterization, functional and comparative genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, and evolutionary bioinformatics of pathogenic worm infections.
- Bioinformatics Training Programmes: have always been an integral part of the Centre’s activity, for which connoisseurs in the field are always invited to act as resource persons.
- Identified and completed the first phase of Bio-Resource Information Centre (BRICs) and portal development under Indian Biodiversity Information Network (IBIN), DBT, Govt. of India.